Sunday, December 29, 2019

Mrs. Robinson - Wanganui

Sunday, December 29, 2019









There's something about small-town New Zealand that I just love, the corner dairies and manicured lawns, it feels so old-fashioned in contrast to city life in Wellington. Wanganui is a place I've spent a fair bit of time over the last eighteen years and every year my relationship with the town changes. During my latest visit, I actually spent some time wandering the streets of my Nan's neighbourhood and noticing the quiet, quaint houses hidden amongst a plethora of conifer trees. I managed to take a few snaps on my camera that turned out pretty good, so I thought I'd share a snapshot of suburbia in Wanganui through my eyes. If you want to read more about my trip, see my colour study here.

Obviously, I'm quite a fan of mid-century architecture and design and stumbling across a true 50s beauty is always a treat. I'm so pleased with the final images of that incredible mid-century home with the coloured glass and very carefully planted trees, it's just perfect! I can just imagine the kind of people that might have lived in this home in the past and the generations of humans that would've passed through since it was built in the 50s/60s. Plus, how amazing are those brick half pillars out the front!?

When capturing the essence of a small Kiwi town, I couldn't forget a corner dairy, cartons of milk and of course, sheep. All classic and overused cliches but still a combo of New Zealand symbols that I just love. I especially adore the pairing of the milk cartons and a cropped view of the incredible 50s home, I just think they work so well together.

It's always interesting looking back at photos I've taken, especially when it's been a while. But, I seem to always keep a consistent style and colour palette in most of my compositions, and this series is no exception. I just love those muted pastel tones, lots of green, unusual shapes, blue skies and an overall Wes Anderson inspired approach. I can't wait to get my camera out more next year and create some interesting new pairings and prints for upcoming exhibitions etc. I can never really predict what will inspire me but I'm super excited to see what's next for my artistic career! Watch this space...

Bella 🌼

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Foster | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio