Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Counter Journal (and me)

Tuesday, October 8, 2019










This post is well overdue and something I've been struggling to write because I simply don't know where to begin! My writing has officially been published and in one of my favourite Welly publications ever; Counter Journal. After building a connection with Zach and Bon over at Counter Journal, following my previous blog posts about their mag (here and here), they reached out to see if I'd be interested in contributing something to their Sustainability Issue. Of course, I was thrilled and so keen to get involved and it's incredible to finally hold the finished product in my hands!

As an aspiring writer and someone who has always had a passion for creating, seeing my work published is an absolute dream come true. I love everything that Zach and Bon are doing with Counter Journal and their effort to include younger artists and contributors like myself is inspiring. Coincidentally, my article was placed directly next to my lovely friend Steph's poem in the issue, which was such a nice surprise! It makes me so happy to see young creatives getting the recognition they deserve and Steph is an amazing writer (here).

After a few back and forth emails between Zach and myself, we settled on the idea that my article would centre around my very own business; selling second-hand clothing. With sustainability being the overall theme of the issue, my knowledge and skills within this niche made it super enjoyable to write about. I won't go into too much detail about the actual article (if you want to have a read make sure to pick up the latest issue of CJ)! But, I'm so pleased with the finished product and my voice within the mag. I'd like to think my piece could provide some insight into the business of shopping and selling sustainably. As op-shopping and buying second-hand becomes more popular and widespread, it provides a great opportunity for new creative jobs like this one!

Not only am I thrilled to be surrounded by more incredible contributors in the latest issue of CJ, but it's such a joy to be involved in a publication that puts such an emphasis on beautiful design. The gorgeous illustration on the cover is an original piece by Bon (see here). I'm a huge fan of her work and the bold and colourful cover artwork was what initially attracted me to pick up CJ earlier this year. She has an amazing eye for colour and composition, the earthy tones in this image are so perfect with that pop of yellow in the lemon.

I still can't quite believe that my work is in a magazine and I'm beyond excited for more opportunities like this in the future. This experience was a great confidence boost for me and my writing, the confirmation that somebody else out there likes what you're doing means the world. I've definitely learnt the importance of putting myself out there through this experience too, even if it's scary. I hope that this will be the first push in the right direction for my career and I can't wait to see what's next!

Make sure to pick up the latest issue of Counter Journal to see my article and all of the other amazing pieces from local contributors.
See CJ here.

Bella 🌼

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Foster | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio