Thursday, June 6, 2019

Analogue - Counter Journal

Thursday, June 6, 2019






Counter Journal, a new Wellington-based publication full of fresh ideas, talented creatives and that authentic Kiwi touch. You might remember my gushing article on their Pilot issue last month, so you can imagine how pleased I was to come home to my very own copy of their official first issue, complete with a personal note from Zack and Bon.

The theme of this issue is Analogue, with articles ranging from the art of vinyl pressing and film photography to thoughtful pieces on social media and the technology age. This topic can be difficult to write and read about. Especially as a young person, you can quickly begin to feel defensive, thinking, it's not my fault that story books have been replaced with kindles, clocks transformed into iPhones and the trusty notebook nowhere to be found. But the Counter Journal contributors discuss this topic in a fresh and more understanding way. They're not trying to tell you that technology is bad, a lot of them admit to relying on it in a big way themselves. Instead, their encouraging readers to consider a different perspective on life, with less emphasis on screens and more on paper, vinyl, film and print.

Although I'm very much a part of the technology age and both me and my brother find a large gap in our family photo albums as film cameras were forgotten in a new world of digital. I still find myself relying on more traditional methods for my everyday life. I simply can't bring myself to write an online diary, it just doesn't feel right. I can recognize the overall convenience of having all of your info readily available on your smartphone, sitting in your pocket or handbag 24/7. But there's something about a pen and paper that can never be replicated with a screen. Every day I sit down with my best 0.3 pigment liner and my favourite notebook from The Moma Design Store in New York, and I write. I make lists, write goals and ideas. I carry this book with me and I'm constantly scribbling down new thoughts as the day goes on. I suppose it's counter-intuitive, given that I write so much on my blog, but I love the romantic nature of a notebook.

I started my vinyl collection in 2017, and although my pastel blue Crosley record player from eBay never worked right, I enjoyed just simply having vinyl. My Dad purchased a proper record player and sound system for his birthday a few years ago. It sits proudly on the sideboard at the back of our house, protected by a thick layer of bulletproof glass (or so he says...) I was expressly forbidden to use the record player when having friends over and I probably would've been put up for adoption if someone had used his Smashing Pumpkins record as a coaster. But now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time my Dad actually sat down and listened to his record player. I think maybe he just likes the idea of having it too.

With technology literally taking over the world as we speak, I think it's so important to hang onto those classic and familiar practices, like reading a book, listening to a record or picking up a pen. One article that really stood out to me in Counter Journal was Brick by Brick written by Araina Kazia Pereira. Araina writes about the importance of teaching children creativity and problem-solving skills from a young age, and not with an iPad.

I grew up with so much Lego, our house was a constant sea of brightly coloured bricks. We also played with Humdinger, an educational wooden toy that seems to have vanished from children's toy boxes for good. I remember the soft feel of the wood, with all of the little carved holes and grooves. But most of all I remember how good it smelt. You simply can't create those feelings with an iPad, the touch, the smell and the memories associated with specific toys cannot be recreated through a screen.

It sounds silly but I truly think that playing with Lego shaped me and my brothers' personalities as kids. It taught us how to work together, solve problems and be creative. We would spend hours in the playroom setting up bases and little villages, combined with my Sylvanian Families collection and some plasticine models with very fragile limbs.

I personally value the simple things in life so much more than my iPhone or laptop. I will always journal and write lists on paper, my love for print will never die and my vinyl collection will continue to grow. I admire those people who are dedicating their time, energy and money to keeping those things alive. Zack and Bon are carefully creating a work of art, it feels good, it smells good and it looks really good. It isn't digital and you can hold it, read it, stack it, collage with it and keep it forever.

Counter Journal Issue One is in stores now and can be found at locations in Wellington such as The Axe, Minerva, Unity Books and a range of cafes including Tomboy Cakery, Prefab and Frank's.

Counter Journal Online
Instagram

Bella 🌼

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Foster | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio