Monday, July 8, 2019

Metropolitan

Monday, July 8, 2019





Last week Ben and I walked from Island Bay to the city because we had run out of bus money and it was a surprisingly warm day. We brought a bottle of spirulina with us for the journey and I carried my camera around my neck, intent on taking some photos. 

I started driving lessons last year and since then have gone through phases of picking it back up again. But if you know me then you know I absolutely hate driving, it's stressful and horrible and I just detest it. Sorry to anyone that loves driving, but it's not for me. I think part of that comes from the fact that I love to notice things. I'm constantly looking with my 'photo eyes' and trying to spot new compositions. Even when I don't have my camera with me, a mental picture is enough. I daydream and wander down random streets getting accidentally on purpose lost. You can't do that when you're driving, so the fun of travelling is taken away. I've accepted the fact that I'm probably not going to past my driving test in the near future and I'm okay with that. I like walking or taking the bus because I can watch the world go by and not worry about which way to indicate or when to use my window wipers.

As you probably know if you've read my blog, I'm completely obsessed with California and recreating that sunkissed palm springs look in my own photography. Sometimes I'm unsuccessful and the grey Wellington sky makes even the nicest of subjects look drab and dull. But sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'll stumble across the perfect moment and capture it through my lens. This was one of those days.

I love the way these images came out, the colours are so pretty and they really remind me of Metropolitan ice cream (hence the title). Most of the buildings in the images I found down random side streets in Newtown and Berhampore on our walk. Buildings that on a grey day wouldn't jump out as much as they do with the sun shining. I love the bright pink building and the shadows being cast by the powerlines and trees. It almost reminds me of an image I took in California...

Bella 🌼

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Foster | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio