Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Trailer Trash Colour Study

Tuesday, July 23, 2019
















How good are these colours??! I've been having so much fun with my colour study posts recently, something I've always loved doing in some shape or form. Playing with colour, patterns and texture to create unusual compositions has always been my favourite creative exercise. I love compiling all the photos I've taken on my phone and camera over a week or month period and picking out colour combos and a general theme to create a little time capsule of images.

This colour study reminded me of a run-down trailer park in California with bright garish colours and clashing patterns. The orange plastic jug and floral mugs give me major camping in the 60s vibes too. So, as a nod to one of my all time favourite songs I've aptly named this study 'Trailer Trash'. When editing my photos and creating these weird and wonderful compositions a name or theme will often come to me, or I'll be reminded of a place or song that the colours represent. I love that all this put together can create such a strong image or story in my head and it's interesting how this story will vary for every person that sees my work.

This week I visited quite a few op shops, which is where most of this content is from. The giant plastic head with the freakishly long neck was displayed in Fin, a new store that's just opened up on Cuba Street. Ben and I will often go window shopping in the vintage stores on Cuba Street, barely ever buying anything, but our wishlist is forever growing. We both especially love Tangent, the sell crazy 1960s / 1970s menswear, most of which would be way too big for me but I love it. We were thrilled when Fin opened up next door. Fin is a New Zealand brand and their store sells a mixture of retro pieces and handmade clothing, including some crazy cool flares and floral skirts.

When I'm thrifting I'm obviously on the lookout for good pieces to sell on my store or keep for my own personal closet. But I'm also always searching with my photo eyes, for furniture or bits and bobs that I can shuffle around and create a composition. The great thing about op shops is that you can move things around to create a set-up without getting too many strange looks and the lighting is often pretty decent. It's pretty much like a free styling studio, all props and costumes included. I'm constantly keeping my eyes peeled for funky textures or patterns in op shops, this is where most of my floral backdrops in the colour studies come from. It always pays to check the fabric bins or even the scarves for interesting textures.

All of this combined creates the final product, which I then edit and play around with to create the final designs. I always love the way these compositions turn out and although they aren't something I would get printed or use for an exhibition, doing this on a regular basis is a great way to exercise my creative mind!

Bella 🌼

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Foster | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio