Friday, July 26, 2019

Soaked Oats

Friday, July 26, 2019




















This is what waking up in Wanganui looks like. Soft light pouring through the curtains, creating a dreamy yellow glow on the faded floral wallpaper. The smell of slightly burnt toast and freshly squeezed orange juice wafting through the kitchen. Old antique mirrors reflecting early morning light and the sound of cars passing by on Fitzherbert Avenue.

You might recognise some of the subject matter in these photos from my 'Shirley's House' collection that I shot in February. We will often go and stay with my great-grandmother in her home in Wanganui and only this year have I started to appreciate what a retro time capsule it is. With orange paisley wallpaper in the pantry and old Formica benchtops, it's photography heaven for me. I adore the yellow and pink glow that comes through the curtains in the morning, transforming each room into a brightly coloured haven.

I love the way these photos make me feel. They immediately bring back the smells and sounds of my Nan's house and make me feel as though I'm standing on the old worn carpet right now, with the grandfather clock chiming away methodically. We decided to go and visit my Nan on Wednesday, although it was under unfortunate circumstances it was still a lovely two-day trip.

I wonder how these photos will make me feel in ten or twenty years time. What memories they'll bring back and weather the feel of Shirley's house will still be as fresh in my mind as it is right now. This house has been the only place to be constant throughout mine and my brother's life. I don't like the thought of someone else's family living there, cooking on the old electric stovetop, showering in the wet room or running under the sprinklers in the garden on a hot Summer's day. So, this is my time capsule, a snippet of what it's like to stay at Shirley's house.

Read more about my February collection here.

Bella 🌼

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Foster | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio