Sunday, July 7, 2019

Seller Hotspot - Spaced Out Mama Vintage

Sunday, July 7, 2019


Since creating my Depop store at the start of the year I've been constantly developing and changing my style, tweaking and reorganising to create something I'm proud of. I love the way my Depop is looking at the moment and the response I'm getting from buyers, especially about the presentation of my pieces.

I take a lot of time to make sure my photos are looking exactly the way I want them to and the perfectionist in me leaves no stone unturned. I know that I'm definitely not the only seller who thinks this way and there are so many amazing Depop stores out there doing crazy creative things that I admire. So, I've decided to start a little Seller Hotspot series here on this blog. In this series, I'll share with you some of my favourite sellers from Depop or any other platforms (open to suggestions)! These posts will be full of images, interviews with sellers, Depop tips and tricks and words on fashion and style, as well as behind the scene factors like styling shoots, motivation and inspiration.

For the first instalment of my Seller Hotspot series, I decided to reach out to my absolute favourite Depop seller, Crystal. Crystal runs a successful vintage and retro store from her home in Ohio. She sources and stocks some of the most delicious 1960s and 1970s pieces straight out of That 70s Show. Like me, Crystal also likes to branch out into other eras too, sometimes selling 80s and 90s vintage through her Instagram. She ships internationally and presents her photos in the most vibrant and eye-catching way, I just love it. Here are a few of my favourite pieces available on her store,




(All images belong to Crystal from Spaced Out Mama Vintage. Items with links are listed below.)

1970s Green Chevron Collared Shirt - $33 usd
Vintage 1960s Pink Knitted Vest - $28 usd
Ultra High Waisted 1970s Bell Bottoms - $65 usd
Lime Green Mod Flower Power Shorts - $55 usd
Pink Handmade Crochet Hoodie - $28 usd
Green 1970s Crochet Crossbody Bag - $25 usd
1960s Marigold Coordinating Set - $85 usd
Red 1960s Mod Space Age Purse - $70 usd
1970s Flower Power Two Piece Matching Set - $110 usd


What started out as a hobby has now become Crystal's full-time job, sourcing, styling and selling vintage clothes to people all over the globe. With nearly 500 items sold on Depop, just short of 24 thousand followers on Instagram and an aesthetic that I adore, this is Spaced Out Mama Vintage!

How and when did you first get into Depop / selling vintage online?
I've been selling on Etsy since 2011 after graduating college. I saw that people were selling vintage on there and I had my own personal collection, so I figured I'd give it a try. I started selling on Depop fairly recently, probably in the last three years or so.

How would you define the style of your store?
I love anything mod, space-age, psychedelic and hippie! Oh-and bright colours!

What do you find the most difficult / challenging about this job?
There's a lot of people (including thrift stores) that want to buy and sell vintage now, so you really have to be out there looking all the time and get creative with how you source. You also need to keep yourself motivated since there's nobody telling you what needs to be done.

What motivates you to run your own business?
I love being able to find unique pieces and pass them on to someone else to love and enjoy.

How do you style a shoot / what's your creative process?
Since I take photos almost every day, I can't spend a whole lot of time styling each piece, but luckily I have tons of vintage laying around so whatever jumps out at me to make a perfect outfit I grab!

Who / what inspires you and your business the most?
There are so many creative and hardworking people I follow on Instagram, so it's pretty easy to find inspiration on there if I'm not feeling super creative that day.

What's your favourite part about doing what you do?
The hunt! Sourcing is obviously the best part of it all and seeing happy customers with their new pieces.

What advice would you give to smaller sellers wanting to grow their business?
I try to list (almost) every day and post on Instagram consistently.

Check out Crystal's Depop here and her Instagram here.

Bella 🌼

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Foster | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio